Sunday, August 23, 2009

Oquirrh Mountain Temple Dedication

This afternoon, Mark and I had the opportunity to go and watch the broadcast of the Oquirrh Mountain temple dedication. It was a really special experience to go with Mark. It has been awhile since either one of us have been to a temple dedication, so we have been looking forward to attending the dedication. We were very fortunate to have one of my dear friends and neighbors in our ward watch Kaleb and Karmindy. We are very appreciative of her for giving us the opportunity to go and sacrificing her time so that we could attend it!

We attended the ninth and concluding dedicatory service!!We were able to hear some wonderful Speakers. Each speaker talked about the importance of attending and the blessings of the temple. I loved hearing each of their different stories and talks about the temple. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to Pres. Monson! I have always thoroughly enjoyed listening to him because of the beautiful way he tells stories. Pres. Monson always captivates my attention and helps me to understand the simplicity of the gospel. He told of several stories that touched me.

The first one he told about was how his daughter was working in the temple one evening helping entertain several small children that were their waiting to join their parents in the sealing room. After the Sealings took place the children came back to the nursery area to get dressed back into their street clothes. As the children were headed out of the room to meet their parents, one little girl looked up to one of the workers dressed in white and said, "Good Night Angel!" This little remark really touched me. I really love little children! I love how this little girl thought of the worker in the temple as an angel! I never really thought of me as being some one's angel as I have done Temple work in the past. This story really touched me and helped me to recommit to making more time to do the work of my ancestors and those have gone on before me. By helping in the temple We can help be someones saving or guiding Angel!

The other story Pres. Monson told was about how he met with a Brother for a calling in a third world country. He asked this brother if he had been to the temple. The Brother told Pres. Monson that he had. Pres. Monson asked if his wife and family had been to the temple. This brother took several moments to respond because he had only been able to take his wife and only 4 out of their 10 children to be sealed to them because he lacked the money it would need to take all his children. This brother told Pres. Monson that he would work the rest of his life if he had to to earn the money he needed so he could take the rest of his family to the temple. President Monson was troubled by this and while sitting down to dinner with his family that night he told his family about this man and his concern for him. He explained to his children that this family was only able to take several of their children to the temple because of their lack of money. Without knowing it, Pres. Monsons Daughter suggested to the seminary council she was apart of and other councils in the area to hold fundraisers to earn money that Christmas for families that were living abroad. When Christmas came the seminary councils presented Pres. Monson with a check which allowed the Brother and the rest of his family to attend the temple. Other families in the area also benefit from their fundraising and were able to attend the temple as well.

I am so grateful for the blessings of the temple in my life and I am so grateful for the opportunity that I have to be sealed to my wonderful husband for eternity and for the knowledge that our children can be ours for eternity if we keep our sacred covenants.I am really grateful for the opportunity that Mark and I had to attend the dedication. I am really looking forward in the upcoming weeks to attend our new beautiful temple that is located so close to our home.

Families Can be Together Forever and I am so grateful that Temples can help make that possible!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Unfortunately, we were unable to go but I heard it was wonderful! Isn't it great to have friends to help out!

Trimblog said...

Thanks for the uplifting post. It was nice to hear some of the stories from it since we weren't able to go. It was a good reminder for me as well to get to the temple more!

Brooke and Aaron said...

Thanks for the reminder about why we are here on this beautiful Earth. Life seems to get so crazy sometimes that I forget what really matters. I really need to keep the proper perspective and be the best mother I can be for my children.