Two of my friends and I decided to enroll our girls in a little Dance Class called the Twinkle Toes at the Black Diamond Dance/Gymnastics Studio in South Jordan. I was so excited to get Karmindy into dance. She dances here at home but not on command. I didn't let this deter me from putting her in the class but it should have been my first indication that she might not be quite ready. Anyone that knows my daughter, knows she is a free spirit, feisty, spunky and has her own agenda! If you are not apart of her agenda then she won't give you the time of day. That is just who she is and she has been like this since birth! :D
My little Dancing Queen was NOT meant to be. When we first got to the studio we were greeted by the nice instructor. She took us back to the classroom and asked the girls to sit on circle plastic disks on the floor. Karmindy didn't want to have anything to do with it. As the class progressed things got continually worse. While the teacher was teaching, Karmindy was in "Butterfly Mode:" She busied herself with other things. She was collecting the plastic circles on the floor and took them over to the window, sat on the window sill staring out at what was going on outside and raced around the room. Whenever the teacher would ask her to join the other two girls, she would answer with a defiant "NO" and would lay on the floor and roll her eyes at the teacher! I was so humiliated! I know that she is a sassy 2 1/2 year old but she never acts like this at home. I am sure the instructor thought I was MOTHER OF THE YEAR!
After the class, we went into the Gymnastics room where the girls were encouraged to walk along the balance beam, jump on a trampoline and slide into a pit of square spongey cubes. As the girls were doing all this, Karmindy was running around checking out all the equipment and would have nothing to do with the teacher or the other two girls. She finally did like going down the slide into the pit but that only occupied her attention for a couple of tries. Then she was off running around the room again.
After we left the studio to go home, we went to go pick up Kaleb at School. As I was headed down the road I heard my tire blow. My tire must have been flat or gone flat while in the studio and while driving down the street to go pick up Kaleb it had blown. To make matters worse, I was late picking him up! I didn't know what to do. I ended up driving slowly on my flat tire the rest of the way to the school(maybe 1/2 mile). As I rolled into the parking lot, My tire and rim were smoking AND a little on fire! It was the icing on the cake! Teachers and parents were gawking at me wondering what the heck I was doing and who the nut was driving on a bare tire/rim.
It was NOT ONE OF MY PROUDEST MOMENTS AS A MOTHER!
After getting the car taken care of and getting back home, I called the studio and pulled Karmindy out of the class. I think I will wait till fall to try again!.... Maybe! :D
8 comments:
Wow! Sounds like you had quite the day!! I hope your days have gotten better. You are an awesome mom. Not to worry.. everyone has those days. :-)
Sydney was that way exactly at 2.5 yrs when we tried dance.. at 3.5 she started begging to go back and has been doing much better in a class setting.. Good luck, sometimes even though they love something, there is another part of their development that might need to catch up a bit before they can show the world how much they like it. Sorry you had a rough go of it.
Sounds like you had a fabulous day! Haha. That is terrible about your tire. I had that happen to me once and it was not fun.
Karmindee is still really young to be starting dance--most kids her age don't have the attention span. I didn't start till I was 7, so try again in a few years!
Love those days that you feel like mother of the year! They alwasy happen at the most inopportune time.
It always has to come all at once. Sounds like it was a "Fun" filled day. Good luck with the dancing in the fall. You are a great mom and I'm sure she will come around. (maybe) ;)
Definitely a day to remember! You are a FANTASTIC mom!!! I'd been contemplating signing McKay up for a tumbling class...I can see him doing the exact same thing. I'll wait on that one. I did sign McKay up for a little art/music class through Dixie's Continuing Education. The first day he spent most of the time doing just the opposite of everyone else...I'm hoping the next class goes a little better. Two-year-olds....SHEESH!!!
You ARE a fantastic MOM. And you better not think otherwise! You shouldn't be embarrassed AT ALL. I'm sure Karmindy is not the only one that likes to do things her way, and I'm sure she isn't the first for that instructor. I wish you were still going with us (maybe for my own selfish reasons! I get to see you!!) but maybe in the fall! love your guts.
Oh my goodness! That is kinda funny. (for us reading anyway). YOU are a wonderful Mom! Your post makes me love that little Karmindy even more. I have noticed that these little ones nowdays are very spunky and quite determined. And yes, it can be so embarrassing sometimes. I have had many prayers because of this issue at our home. In praying though, I've come to know a few things about our little ones that are so stubborn. "These children were held back for thousands of years to come forth in these times. They have to be strong spirited or they could not face the challenges of today". My job as a mother wasn't to change their fiercness, but direct it to be used in a good way. If I can somehow direct my kids stubborness to be used in good ways I have done what I'm supposed to do.
Post a Comment