Saturday, February 7, 2009

Getting Prepared!

This morning I got up early and headed down the street to our church to make a 72 hour kit for our little family. It is was one of our Enrichment Activities and it was awesome. The Sister that was over it got in touch with a company called KEYM's KITS. They specialize in putting together 72 hour kits and other emergency essentials. When I got into the gym all I did was grab a #10 can and then they had a table set up with things that you put into your #10 can. It was great and so easy and self explanatory. In each emergency can, you placed things like toilet paper, matches, notebook, pencils, emergency candles, washcloth, comb, toothbrushes, soap, pump flashlight, water purifying tablets, the list goes on. Then after we made our can then we went to a different table to get a first aid kit and some plastic bins to put your stuff in. After that, we went to a different table and went down the table adding different food items to put into our 72 hour kits. It was also nice because they had different choices of different foods that you could tailor to your families likes and dislikes. Some of the food items included Capri Suns, Beef Jerky, Corn Nuts, Suckers, gum, pudding, tuna salad cans with crackers, instant potato's, pop tarts, granola bars, crackers, ramen noodles, and several other items. After you got your food, you took your food and emergency # 10 can and organized it into your plastic bins. I spent a total of 30 minutes putting this together and came away with a 72 hour kit for 3 people. It was $117 all together and I also got a premade Car Emergency Kit to place in our car which was included in the $117. I felt it was well worth the money and time. You also can sign up to be on their mailing list and they will mail you a little notice telling you when to change everything out. While I was there, the other sisters said that this company was willing to come back next year with additional food items so we can replace our food in our buckets. It was very exciting and gave me a sense of self reliance knowing that now we have a little something prepared for our family in case of an emergency.
I really thought this Enrichment Activity was so nice and I am putting in a little plug for the company. If you are interested in contacting this company to have them do a Preparedness Event in your area you can go to www.kmkits.com or call 1-435-225-4363. Also the pricing for the kits are as follows:
72 Hour Kits
1 person kit = $55
2 person kit= $70
3 person kit=$90
4 person kit=$105
5 person kit=$125
6 person kit=$160
It is also nice because with each kit you buy, you get a little bit of a break in pricing. This company also offers other emergency essentials like cell phone chargers, bagged water that can be stored up to 5 years, car kits, car first aid kits, and wilderness survival kits.
What a great feeling it is to be Prepared in Case of an Emergency!

2 comments:

Amber Monson said...

That is one of my new years goals..is to get better prepared, and with food storage. I just havent had as good of luck as you have..Those kits look awesome! Also Your little girl is to cute. Hope and pray everything works out for the best.

Unknown said...

That looks like a lot of fun preparing. I need to do something like that when we get more money. I am so sorry about Karmindy. I hope things get better at her next appointment. That is great that she is crawling. She is a fast learner.