I have been a little lazy about blogging on my family blog lately because I have been trying to get my COOKING BLOG up and running, so our poor little family blog has taken a back seat. I have been meaning to sit down and write a little bit about what our little family has been up to for the past week or so. Here are a few things that we have been up too:
#1-This past week (Thanksgiving) we got out our decorations on Monday night and decorated the Christmas tree for FHE. I usually decorate the day after Thanksgiving for the Christmas Holiday but I didn't want to wait til the weekend to do it. The kids had a blast decorating and Karmindy really got into it! It was so fun to see her cute little hands grasp the ornaments and hang them on the tree. Kaleb was a huge help and loved to be daring and get the ornaments high and low. He also loved wearing his Santa hat while decorating and has been wearing it ever since. He hangs it on his bed post and it is usually the first thing he puts on when getting ready for bed and also enjoys wearing it after he gets home from kindergarten. Funny kid!
Kaleb with his infamous Santa hat.
Decorating the tree! Kaleb is a big helper!
Karmindy loves to be like her big brother and had to wear the Santa hat too! She also found an old stuffed reindeer that I was given as a gift in Middle School. It was among the Christmas decor and has taken a liking to it. She packs the reindeer every where we go these days!
Karmindy decorating the tree! She is such a doll. I could squeeze her!
I am glad I didn't wait to decorate the tree this weekend because Mark and I came down with flu like symptoms on Wednesday night. We suffered all weekend with this bad little flu bug. We are now feeling better but aren't 100% yet. We didn't go to church today because we have felt so crappy. We were glad to be able to go down and get to see both of our families. We decided to get a hotel room this year because it is just nice to have your own space and keep the peace. We also got a room because we thought it would be fun to go swimming with the kids during some down time. We took the kids swimming but ended up spending most of our time in the HOT tub because the weather was so fridgid. The kids didn't seem to mind and loved the hot tub. They also loved getting ice for our room and being able to use the "magic card" to open our hotel room door! We tried taking the kids to see the movie Tangled but ended up not being able to get in to see the movie because it was sold out. Our Thanksgiving Weekend was kind of a bum one because of sickness, weather and stuff but all in all we made the most of it. Needless to say we are glad to be home and sleep in our own beds.
#2-A couple of days before Thanksgiving, Kaleb and I worked on making Turkey place settings for Thanksgiving Dinner at Mark's Parents house. I thought they turned out cute and the kids (Kaleb) seemed to really enjoy making them. He also wrote everyones names on their name cards and did a great job.
#3- On Monday night after decorating the tree, we decided to introduce a new tradition for our little family. It is called Elf on a Shelf.
This tradition is about having one of Santa's Elves (stuffed elf) come to your home during the Holiday Season. He didn't have a name when he arrived at our home on Monday night (Santa gave us permission to name him), so we named him Jingles. Jingles job is to watch and see if the kids are good during the day. At the end of each day he flies home to see Santa to report on the kids and let Santa know if they have been good or bad. Kaleb has been very intrigued by this. He has a million and one questions about Jingles. It has been fun for Mark and I to try and keep our stories straight and provide a little fun or the kids. Each morning when the kids get up they look around the house for Jingles, because he has a new hiding place each morning. There are several rules as well to our new tradition. The kids can talk to the elf but they can't touch him and he can't talk back to them. So far it has been a success and the kids have enjoyed Jingles being in our home.
#4- There has also been a lot of SNOW at our home the past week. The kids have enjoyed getting bundled up and playing outside and swinging on the swing set. Kaleb loves to be outside and has enjoyed shoveling the back patio. He has done a great job of keeping the patio clear of snow and would spend hours outside if I let him. What is funny is that we don't ask him to do it he just really enjoys shoveling the snow. I am sure in a few more years he might think differently. He is very content to spend hours outside shoveling as long as he knows there is hot cocoa with whip cream and sprinkles waiting for him when he gets inside!
No comments:
Post a Comment