Today, I got a call from the school secretary telling me that Kaleb had gotten hurt while running out to Recess and that he had tripped and fell and got a pretty good sized goose egg on his head. I asked the secretary if he was OK and also if the goose egg had split. The secretary said he had just hit his head pretty good but that he was fine and that she just wanted me to come down to the school and check on him. It is protocol to notify the parents and then let them decide if they want the child to stay at school or have them released. Once I got this news, I raced to the school to check on Kaleb. When I got there, he was sitting in the office and had one of the biggest goose eggs that I had ever seen on his forehead. Kaleb said he was feeling okay besides having the goose egg and a few scratches on his hands and tummy. I decided to check Kaleb out of school and let him come home and rest because he looked exhausted..
When we got home Kaleb asked me if he could play the Wii, I let him because I knew he didn't feel good and thought it might help get his mind off his head and cuts and scrapes. After about a 1/2 hour I thought he seemed okay and asked if he wanted to go back to school. He said that he was a little tired and wanted to go to sleep. I let him doze for a few minutes because I was in the process of making Mark's Birthday cake for that night and had gotten the call in the middle of mixing all the ingredients. After a few minutes of cooking in the kitchen, I peaked over the counter and noticed Kaleb sitting up. He told me that he needed to throw up. I went over to him and talked to him for a bit. He seemed really out of it. At first I brushed these symptoms off and just figured that it was because of his fall but then I started getting worried that he might have a concussion. I then decided to call his pediatrics office for advice and no one answered. I then tried calling Mark to see if I should take him in to the Insta Care. I couldn't get a hold of him either. I decided to go to the W.W.W. to see what some of the symptoms of a concussion were. One was that the person won't be able to answer questions that they know the answer to. I walked back over to Kaleb and asked him his birthday and he gave me our address. I asked him where we lived and he told me St. George. He knows the answers to these questions and so I started panicking. About this time Karmindy came home from preschool. I kept calling the pediatritions office and Mark but still no answer. Kaleb kept telling me he needed to throw up and also that he wanted to go to sleep. I felt in my heart that I should let him do that, so I called my friend and asked if Karmindy could come stay for a bit while I ran Kaleb to the Insta Care. I started getting a little more worried when the Pediatritions office or Mark didn't call me back. I raced and put Karmindy in the car and came back for Kaleb. When I went over to him, he couldn't even walk. I was FREAKING out by now and carried Kaleb to the car.
After getting Karmindy dropped off , I raced to our Insta Care which is fortunately located in the Riverton Hospital. After parking the car, I went around to get Kaleb. He still couldn't walk so I carried him, a metal throw up bowl and my purse into the InstaCare. I was dying because Kaleb was so heavy but he was so limp and was totally dead weight. The ladies behind the desk in the Insta Care must have seen my frantic face and took me right back after I told her what had happened and seeing how unaware Kaleb was. After they got us seated, (I was still holding Kaleb) Kaleb threw up all over me, my purse and shoes. I also had throw up in my hair. I was trying so hard to be strong for him but I about lost it for I can deal with blood but not vomit.
After the nurse ran vitals, and he went for the Doctor when he asked Kaleb questions that he knew the answers to but could not answer correctly. The Doctor on call came over and said that he was worried that he might have a severe concussion so he told us that we needed to go to the Emergency Room Stat. While holding Kaleb, they wheeled us to the Emergency Room. They got us into a room and Kaleb settled. After that a few Doctors came in and decided that they should do a CAT Scan just to make sure that there was no bleeding on the brain. Kaleb threw up several more times on the way down to Radiology. I felt so bad for him, for it was so hard not to know what to do to help him.
After the trip down to Radiology we went back to the room and waited for the results. After being at the Emergency Room for 3 hours we found out that all was ok with Kaleb's brain and there was no bleeding or damage. Thank goodness. While this was all going on Mark finally called me. He was in training meetings so his reception wasn't great in the room he was in. :( I was a little upset to say the least because I felt so alone through it all and it is never fun to sit in stinky throwup!! I must have kept my composure well because I had several nurses tell me that I seemed so calm. I was dying inside to be honest and was ready to go postal. I think having gone through everything with Karmindy has definitely numbed me when it comes to Hospital visits. I HATE THEM!!! However, I have learned to suck it up and just do what you have to do when things like this comes up, even though I really, really struggle with it. I think it comes with being a Mom. You have to stay strong for your kids.
After they discharged Kaleb, we headed home and let him rest the rest of the evening. By 9 o' clock that night he woke up after being a asleep for 4 hours and seemed back to normal. Go figure. The things you go through for your kids can about kill you!!
I am really glad that my little boy is okay. It was a really scary experience and to think it all stemmed from a little hit on the head. It is not an experience that I want to go through again.
After getting Karmindy dropped off , I raced to our Insta Care which is fortunately located in the Riverton Hospital. After parking the car, I went around to get Kaleb. He still couldn't walk so I carried him, a metal throw up bowl and my purse into the InstaCare. I was dying because Kaleb was so heavy but he was so limp and was totally dead weight. The ladies behind the desk in the Insta Care must have seen my frantic face and took me right back after I told her what had happened and seeing how unaware Kaleb was. After they got us seated, (I was still holding Kaleb) Kaleb threw up all over me, my purse and shoes. I also had throw up in my hair. I was trying so hard to be strong for him but I about lost it for I can deal with blood but not vomit.
After the nurse ran vitals, and he went for the Doctor when he asked Kaleb questions that he knew the answers to but could not answer correctly. The Doctor on call came over and said that he was worried that he might have a severe concussion so he told us that we needed to go to the Emergency Room Stat. While holding Kaleb, they wheeled us to the Emergency Room. They got us into a room and Kaleb settled. After that a few Doctors came in and decided that they should do a CAT Scan just to make sure that there was no bleeding on the brain. Kaleb threw up several more times on the way down to Radiology. I felt so bad for him, for it was so hard not to know what to do to help him.
After the trip down to Radiology we went back to the room and waited for the results. After being at the Emergency Room for 3 hours we found out that all was ok with Kaleb's brain and there was no bleeding or damage. Thank goodness. While this was all going on Mark finally called me. He was in training meetings so his reception wasn't great in the room he was in. :( I was a little upset to say the least because I felt so alone through it all and it is never fun to sit in stinky throwup!! I must have kept my composure well because I had several nurses tell me that I seemed so calm. I was dying inside to be honest and was ready to go postal. I think having gone through everything with Karmindy has definitely numbed me when it comes to Hospital visits. I HATE THEM!!! However, I have learned to suck it up and just do what you have to do when things like this comes up, even though I really, really struggle with it. I think it comes with being a Mom. You have to stay strong for your kids.
After they discharged Kaleb, we headed home and let him rest the rest of the evening. By 9 o' clock that night he woke up after being a asleep for 4 hours and seemed back to normal. Go figure. The things you go through for your kids can about kill you!!
I am really glad that my little boy is okay. It was a really scary experience and to think it all stemmed from a little hit on the head. It is not an experience that I want to go through again.
No comments:
Post a Comment