Friday, January 15, 2010

Twas the Month After Christmas!

I over did it this year! Yet again! My holiday eating has yet again taken its toll on my body. I am patiently waiting for the sun to appear through the dreary cloudiness and inversion that graces the Northern Utah skies. Until the sun appears, I will dream of warmer weather so I can go walking/running, enjoy the fresh air and maybe lose some of this holiday weight that I have packed on... I just had to share this darling poem that a dear cousin sent me via email. She always forwards me the cutest stuff. I hope you enjoy this poem as much as I did. Happy dieting to myself and those of you who will be joining me as I try to slim down in 2010!

Twas the month after Christmas,
and all through the house,
Nothing would fit me,
not even a blouse.

The cookies I'd nibbled,
the chocolate I'd taste
At the holiday parties
had gone to my waist.

When I got on the scales
there arose such a number!
When I walked to the store
(less a walk than a lumber),

I'd remember the marvelous meals I'd prepared;
The gravies and sauces and beef nicely rared,
The wine and the rum balls, the bread and the cheese
And the way I'd never said, "No thank you, please."

As I dressed myself in my husband's old shirt
And prepared once again to do battle with dirt...
I said to myself, as I only can,
"You can't spend a Summer, disguised as a man!"

So, away with the last of the sour cream dip.
Get rid of the fruit cake, every cracker and chip.
Every last bit of food that I like must be banished
Till all the additional ounces have vanished.

I won't have a cookie, not even a lick.
I'll want only to chew on a long celery stick.
I won't have hot biscuits, or corn bread, or pie.
I'll munch on a carrot and quietly cry.

I'm hungry, I'm lonesome, and life is a bore...
But isn't that what January is for?
Unable to giggle, no longer a riot.
Happy New Year to all, and to all a good diet.


4 comments:

........ said...

Too cute! That describes everyday for me not just Christmas! We will go walking when it warms up...and it will. not. kill. me.

Elder Larkin said...

haha! that is so funny! I love the carrot crack.

CharlieJo said...

i laughed soo hard! that is a great poem :) I feel the same way..I was not happy when I checked the scales after the holidays. sigh. I need to get back into walking, running I have to work up to. hehe.

Mary Lynne said...

So, so true. It's depressing to think we still have to wade through the sweets of Valentine's Day and Easter.