Kaleb's first break from school started at the end of September and goes until the week before Halloween this year. That ends up being 4 whole weeks that he is off track from school. To prevent the kids from getting bored and annoying the heck out of each other, I knew that I would have to have some awesome Boredom Buster Activities on Tap to prevent them from "killing each other." I have found out from last year's year round school breaks, that it is fun for the kids to have an activity to look forward to each week when there is no school.. It also has been a great way for me to get the kids to clean their rooms and help me out around the house. The fun activities have been great incentives!
So far the kids have enjoyed helping me decorate for Halloween inside and outside of the house. Since my Halloween Decorations are limited, the kids and I made a Skeleton out of paper plates. There was a cute tutorial online that I found and I just tweaked it and made it our own. I tole painted a face and hat and tied a bow tie for the skeleton's neck. Kaleb enjoyed cutting the jute to tie the skeleton together and helping me cut out the bones (paper plates). Karmindy enjoyed handing us the supplies we needed and enjoyed picking up the scraps for the garbage. It was a fun joint effort and our homemade skeleton turned out great. The kids just adore their creation and it is fun to see how proud they are of our skeleton. We decided to hand him on our front door so we could see him all month long.
Another project that we have enjoyed making were little edible graveyards. The kids truly enjoy getting in the kitchen and helping me cook and make yummy things to eat. We made our own personal graveyards out of pudding, crushed oreos, gummy worms, and Milano cookies with RIP written in chocolate frosting. I placed all the ingredients in the kids own personal ramekin. The kids were so excited to make and eat their creations. We made the graveyards on a Monday afternoon, so we enjoyed them that night for a Family Home Evening treat. The kids loved them!
During this particular FHE, we read a spiritual story and then I introduced to them a favorite Cartoon that I enjoyed watching when I was there age around Halloween- "Garfields Halloween Adventure." The kids enjoyed their treats and loved watching the movie. When I was younger, Me and My brother's and sister's, watched "Garfields Halloween" every year during the Month of October. It was a fun family tradition that we always looked forward to. We loved that cartoon and we all knew all the funny parts by heart. I have always wanted a copy of the cartoon for my own DVD Library but could never find it. Luckily this year while I was perusing the internet, I found a copy on ebay and bought it. I was so happy!! Since that FHE, the kids have watched the cartoon several times over the past few weeks and really like it. It has truly been fun to watch them get excited over the things that I used to enjoy when I was little.
Last year after the Halloween Holiday my mom found a chocolate kit on clearance last year and thought me and the kids would like to make them this year. We decided to put our chocolate candy making skills to the test. The kids loved squirting the chocolate into the molds. Kaleb especially enjoyed making the chocolate candies. We got pretty creative with the different colors of chocolate. We enjoyed making skeleton hands, ghosts, spiders, pumpkins and cats. We are looking forward to making more chocolates with our Halloween molds next year!
I have a few more fun things on tap while Kaleb is off break and we are looking to spending time with each other and doing some more fun things together.

2 comments:
with my hubby gone for a bit, may do some of these fun activites with the kids! thinking of going to the pumpkin festival in town next sat if you want to come!
You're such a fun mom!
Post a Comment