Thursday, September 10, 2009

I'm a Material Girl in a Material World!


My good friend, Carlynn, is a wonderful seamstress! She is always showing me all the cute projects that she is working on and it has made me get the sewing itch! I don't know how to sew but she has offered to teach me how! I am so excited to learn! My mom is also a great seamstress and has shown me a few things but I never really had an interest until now! Recently, Carlynn and I visited a very cute store. It is called Material Girls Quilts and it is located just off of Redwood Road and 106th. I think I am addicted to going into this store weekly and have done so for the past 3 weeks just to browse through what they have. They have the cutest fabrics and patterns! I just bought this pattern:

I got the matching fabric to make this cute little sundress for Karmindy for this next summer and I will post the results when I get it done! Doesn't the little cute girl in the picture look like Karmindy? It is a little eerie!

Last night, I sewed this skirt.


I found the material at Walmart and it is sold by the panel. It was a really easy thing to start on. All you do is hem and sew up the side and then hem the bottom and sew. It was truly the easiest thing to start sewing on! Now I have a winter skirt to keep me warm on those upcoming Cold Snowy Sundays! What is also nice is that the waist is stretchy so you can pull the skirt up around your bust and wear as a dress as well during those spring and summer months! It is multi faceted!

4 comments:

Amber Monson said...

How funny...I too have gotten the sewing itch, and my friend offered to teach me as well. We started off with some aprons for the little girls, I'll have to post pictures. I think the skirt looks so cute. Good job.

Amy Trimble said...

Love the skirt--it is really cute! I'm impressed with your sewing! You and Carlynn did a great job with the jam--it was really yummy. I was going to save it but couldn't help opening it up. We've been using it the last few days.

Brandon, Nicole and Lucy said...

That little girl really DOES look like Karmindy! I thought it was her until I read your comment about it!!

The Yoder's Five said...

I can't believe you found that panel for your skirt at Wal-Mart! The fabric selection at ours STINKS!

Missed you at the class reunion, by the way. Glad you have a blog so we can keep in touch.:)