Thursday, October 22, 2009

Apple Pie in a Bottle

About a week ago, I took a road trip up to Kaysville to see my Aunt Linda. She invited me up to come and get some apples from her apple orchard. She needed to get rid of them before the frost got them. When we got there we headed up to her orchard and she let me taste all the different varieties that she had. I chose some Gala and Cameo's. They were the sweetest tasting to me and I couldn't wait to get them home and make bottled apple pie filling with them. I did just that! I used my Grandma DeMille's Apple pie filling recipe. It is so delicious and easy to make! On Tuesday this past week, I got together with my friend Carlynn and we went to town making apple pie filling. Carlynn has been so gracious in letting me use her camp stove to can on. In return, we split the bottled goods! It works out to be a nice little trade. We canned 24 pints of apple pie filling and 6 quarts! I think we will have enough pie filling to last us for awhile! After canning, I really enjoy seeing the pretty bottles on my pantry shelf. It gives me such a great feeling knowing I have put something away for a rainy day!

3 comments:

Amber Monson said...

Looks YUMMY...I love when you can accomplish something. It makes you feel so good.

autumntime said...

great job! You are a great little homemaker! I need to pick up the pace! Those apples look great! I bet they will taste even better in a pie!

JILLIAN said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!
THAT LOOKS SO DELICIOUS.
I CAN JUST SMELL IT.
I LOVE SEEING BOTTLES FULL IN MY PANTRY AS WELL.
IT IS SUCH A SATISFYING FEELING.