Tuesday, March 30, 2010

This is the place...

Monument park ended up "not being the place" to take the Kids to their 2ND Annual Free Easter Egg hunt this last Saturday. I have learned my lesson and when anything is advertised as "Free" that should be a sign to turn and "head for the hills", my friends! My friend and I took our kids to the Easter Egg hunt and in our decision making, we decided that we would go early and get a good parking spot because we anticipated that the parking would be crazy. Needless to say it was busy, but we were lucky and scored a close spot to the park and made our way up the hill to the small line(to wait our turns to go into the park). We made good time and got to the park around 1:30. The egg hunt was supposed to start at 2. While standing in line we learned that the egg hunt would not begin till 2:30. While waiting the kids became antsy with excitement and we let them run around close to our original spot of waiting in line. As the time drew near we waited close to the line in the general area that we had originally been standing. We weren't in a hurry by any means because the egg hunt didn't start till 2:30 and they said that all of the (I swear 2,000+) people would be let into the park before the hunt began.
Shortly before 2, the line began to move and that is when our good time ended up being a not so fun time. A man in line started yelling at my friend and me as we herded our 4 kids back into the line to start moving. He told us we were butting and that he would do everything in his power to make sure we weren't allowed in the park! He also started telling us that it was unfair to all the other 2,000 people that were in line after us. He told us we were dishonest and couldn't believe the kind of people we were! We tried to calmly tell him that we were in line and had been in line and also that the egg hunt wasn't going to start until everyone was in the park. This made him more mad! To make this long story short, he continued to grumble loudly and speak ill words to us, while the kids just stood there scared. He had completely sucked the fun out of it for us and everyone around us. Seriously! All for a couple dollars of "free" eggs and candy! We should've turned around and came home because our outing just kept getting worse.
When all is said and done, we got into the park and waited another half hour to 45 minutes after being let into the park and the kids didn't get one egg on their own after the whistle to get the eggs was blown. Thankfully, A worker gave our kids each an egg with candy in them. Kaleb got an egg that had a golden egg in it and he won a Frisbee! How ironic! We ended up leaving nearly empty handed and no plastic Frisbee in tow. (My two darling little Frisbey's were with me) The line to get the prizes was like 1,000 people long. Was it really worth standing in line for another 2 hours to get a two dollar Frisbee? No! My friend and I left with crying, upset children, vowing never to go to another "free" public egg hunt for the rest of our lives! To make it up to the kids we stopped for treats at Wendy's! I think they will forgive us with time for subjecting them to the egg hunt torture.Later that night, Mark and I went to Walmart to pick up a swing set for the kids. (A gift from the Easter bunny). Guess who I saw and walked right by? Mr. Crank!!! He saw me and gave me the look of death. If looks could kill my friends, I would not be writing this post and sharing my joyous time that I had at "This is the place" park with ya' all.

I did get some cute pictures of my kids (mostly Karmindy since Kaleb is beginning to think he is too old for pictures) while waiting for the egg hunt to start. There is a plus to every experience I say! Hope all my friends out there have a better egg hunting experience this year than we did. We will be forgoing the city egg hunt this Saturday and holding the 1st Annual Frisbey Egg hunt in our Back yard. You are all welcome to join us and boycott the madness and the notion of "Free!" Since the word "free" attracts the crazies!
Hope you all have a Happy Easter!

8 comments:

Steve and Katie said...

Hah!! We were totally there! And I agree 100% with everything you said about it! We only live a block away and walked over, waited in line for an hour and still didn't get a single egg. All my kids were in tears. We got together with some friends and had our own that evening just to make up for it. The kids thought it was awesome and forgave us...what an afternoon! Never again for us as well!

JILLIAN said...

KEVIN AND I LEARNED OUR LESSON WHEN BRI AND AMBI WERE LITTLE AND WE WENT WITH AUNT SUE AND KIDS TO THE ANNUAL EASTER EGG HUNT IN HURRICANE.
PARENTS WERE CRAZY AND RUDE AND LOOKED RIDICULOUS, SO WE NEVER WENT BACK.
WE ALWAYS JUST HAVE OUR OWN IN THE YARD FOR THE WEE ONES AND ONE FOR THE GROWN ONES WITH MONEY.
YOU WERE SO NICE TO NOT GET INTO IT WITH MR. CRAZY.
THAT IS ONE REASON I DON'T GO TO THOSE TYPES OF THINGS, I CAN'T KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT.
I WOULD HAVE HAD IT OUT WITH HIM AND THEN FELT BAD FOR DAYS AFTER WARDS.
TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK IS HARD FOR ME TO DO.

Brandon, Nicole and Lucy said...

You should've just karate chopped that guy in the face. That would've showed him!

........ said...

Why is it that some people never grow out of the 1st grade "no buttsies" thing? What a jerk! I have to admit, I've never braved any of those free holiday community events. You get an A+ just for the attempt!


P.S. I would LOVE to go see Last Song with you! Wanna double on Friday? We'll probably have to go to a diff. movie with the guys but we do need a girls night with Miss Miley soon!

Trimblog said...

What a bummer and what a jerk! I'll be taking your advice and be sticking with our own Easter egg hunt. I've always wanted to try out the city ones, but am now glad I haven't. Hope you are having a good week!!

imaginecreateloveit said...

Oh Ashlee...I can so feel your pain. Hope you recover and your children are not scarred for life. :) You should get a medal for being mommy of the year just to brave going to one of those with two kids in tow. You're a better woman than I.

Brooke and Aaron said...

Oh my goodness. I was feeling bad about skipping the "Free Egg Hunt" it this year but I'm glad I did, after reading about your experience. I would have cried right there on the spot, along with the kids. Sounds like you made the most of it and sweetened the day up with a yummy treat afterwards. I bet the 1st Annual Frisbey Egg Hunt was a huge hit today! Wish I could have come!!! Happy Easter!! xoxo

LJKreyling said...

I'm sorry you had such a rough time at the Easter egg hunt. I can't believe that man would be so rude and in front of your children. I love the pictures though. They are so cute.